Everyone loves a good story, and ours is one of pure determination and passion.
Many things have changed both in the mortgage market and the big wide world since we launched back in 2013. BUT our original mission to help property entrepreneurs, not only find a great mortgage deal but to get honest expert advice to help them grow and thrive has never wavered.
It is safe to say that it has been one hell of a journey to where we are today. But to tell you the truth we wouldn’t have it any other way.
Spoiler – everything you are about to read is, in fact, true.
- In the beginning – Matt founds The Buy to Let Broker following more than a decade of broking experience – armed with a laptop, an 0800 number and a passion to help landlords by scaling the business across the country. “And there was light”
- Matthew joined – Matthew joins as co-director doubling the team and bringing in another decade + of experience and passion for service. We rent a teeny, tiny office in Birkdale, 6b The Mews for the princely sum of £250 per month.
- Firing on all cylinders – Bank Underwriter Fiona joins the team bringing a wealth of experience, to help support Matt and Matthew write a significant amount of mortgages – and she certainly did that. The model is firing on all cylinders.
- Bigger and better – we move to larger, newer offices to allow us to grow the team. Louise starts as our first broker. A strong addition to the team having previously worked for a large national brokerage for a number of years, she’s a top performer with The BTL Broker to this day. She now specialises in complex buy to let plus bridging and development finance.
- A very good year – our small but mighty team band together to deliver the exceptional service that we have become known for. The word was out! Clients are returning time and again and recommending their contacts left and right. In an effort to keep service levels at the expected high levels, we start to look to recruit, juggling advice with interviewing for new roles and burning the midnight oil to get the required paperwork done.
Angela arrives! – Angie joins us from a large high street bank, having advised clients for many years, she bolsters the team’s foundations further. Currently Angie is our go to girl for complex HNW buy to let and large residential transactions.
- Leading ladies – Fran joins us, relocating to further her career, having been an underwriter for a specialist lender for a number of years. Rachel joins us, again from a bank background working in premier banking and lending. Both are integral cogs within the team today.
- Say hello to Steve – Steve joins us having been advising for a number of years in a single tie scenario.
- The team gets even bigger – Amy joins us from a pension admin background to set her career moving. Matt Wright (yup, we now have three Matts in the office) joins us from a whole of market and banking background.
- Time for a new home – the team move to Jubilee Lodge, our current home, significantly larger offices show the intentions of the business. The new home is fit to burst with tech, pool and table tennis tables and plenty of room for collaboration.
- We become award-winning – we win the first Gold Trusted Service Award from Feefo for our consistent high-quality reviews. We are finalists in the London Moneyfacts Awards for Best BTL Broker UK – the recognition starts and the hard work is starting to pay dividends.
- Onwards and upwards – Rachel is promoted to Buy to Let Specialist underpinning the businesses’ meritocracy status. Duncan joins us with a wealth of experience built up from whole of market and bank advice over many years. Sarah joins us from a related industry with many parallels to our business. Also Nick Proud joins us from a lengthy Building Society underwriting background. Again, all are strong players within the current team.
- The awards keep coming – Gold Trusted Service Winners from Feefo two years running. The business is commended in the 2018 Business Moneyfacts Awards for Best Buy to Let Broker UK, presented in London. The Buy to Let Broker wins two Awards – Best Broker North – and Best Buy to Let Broker from HLP. What Mortgage Awards Winner – Best Buy to Let Broker of the Year. What a Year!
- 2019 was a helluva special year – we win Feefo’s Trusted Service for the 3rd year running for consistently high levels of service and advice. Highly Commended in the Business Moneyfacts Awards again. Angie deservedly takes on the best in the industry – AND Wins “Best Complex Buy to Let Broker 2019” at the British Specialist Lending Awards, an amazing accolade. We were also a Finalist in the Financial Reporter Awards held in Manchester – you can’t win ’em all (unfortunately).
- Rewarding hardwork – Sarah is promoted to Team Leader and Fran is promoted to Senior Technical Case Manager.
- The talent continues – Chris joins us having forged a career in financial services. Becky Cringle moves to further her career with the business, from a very similar case manager role in an estate agent fed residential brokerage. Tom Swinscoe joins the case management team. Mortgage advisor Adam brings his passion for customer service and our resident marketing geek Dolly joins to help us lead the charge. We’re bringing in talent from the four corners of the kingdom – and fabulous assets to the business they are.
- Starting with a bang – we started 2020 with no less than 3 team award nominations for Moneyfacts Awards, Mortgage Strategy Awards and the British Bank Awards 2020. Go team!
- Best of British – we welcome experienced broker Tom to bolster our all-star team of Buy to Let & Bridging Specialists.
- Finish with a flair – we rounded off the crazy year that was 2020 in style with not one but two team wins. Firstly, Fran was awarded best administrator in the British Specialist Lending Awards 2020 AND mortgage advisor Duncan was crowned best Buy-to-Let Broker in the prestigious Mortgage Strategy Awards 2020. Two awards we are very proud of, for two that very much deserved it – and we’re still awaiting a party to celebrate!!
- Steadfast in service – within days of 2021 kicking off, the team were at it again with a shortlist nomination for Buy-to-Let Mortgage Broker of the Year in the Business Moneyfacts Awards 2021. Plus a nomination for Best Mortgage Broker in the British Bank Awards 2021! We just can’t help ourselves when it comes to a bit of healthy competition…!
- Amazing Admin – To support the team as we continue to deliver our 5-star service, we welcomed three new administrators to the team – say hello to the wonderful Abby, Hannah and Heather. All three ladies come from extensive admin backgrounds and have been incredible assets to the team.
Let Us Help You Save Money On Your Mortgage
If you need expert mortgage advice and would like to know how much you can borrow on your next buy to let mortgage. All it takes is one quick call.
To get started you can call us Monday to Friday from 8am – 6pm on 08009499410 or simply complete the details below and one of the team will be in touch.