Everyone loves a good story, and ours is one of pure determination and passion.
Many things have changed both in the mortgage market and the big wide world since we launched back in 2013. BUT our original mission to help property entrepreneurs, not only find suitable mortgage deals but to give honest expert market insights to help them grow and thrive has never wavered.
It is safe to say that it has been one hell of a journey to where we are today. But to tell you the truth we wouldn’t have it any other way.
Spoiler – everything you are about to read is, in fact, true.
- In the beginning – Matt founds The Buy to Let Broker following more than a decade of broking experience – armed with a laptop, an 0800 number and a passion to help landlords by scaling the business across the country. “And there was light”
- Matthew joined – Matthew joins as co-director doubling the team and bringing in another decade of experience and passion for service. We rent a teeny, tiny office in Birkdale, 6b The Mews for the princely sum of £250 per month.
- Firing on all cylinders – Bank Underwriter Fiona joins the team bringing a wealth of experience, to help support Matt and Matthew write a significant amount of mortgages – and she certainly did that. The model is firing on all cylinders.
- Bigger and better – we move to larger, newer offices to allow us to grow the team. Louise starts as our first broker. A strong addition to the team having previously worked for a large national brokerage for a number of years, she’s a top performer with The BTL Broker to this day. She now specialises in complex buy to let plus bridging and development finance.
- A very good year – our small but mighty team band together to deliver the exceptional service that we have become known for. The word was out! Clients are returning time and again and recommending their contacts left and right. In an effort to keep service levels at the expected high levels, we start to look to recruit, juggling delivery with interviewing for new roles and burning the midnight oil to get the required paperwork done.
- Say hello to Steve – Steve joins us having been advising for a number of years in a single tie scenario.
- The team gets even bigger – Amy joins us from a pension admin background to set her career moving. Matt Wright (yup, we now have three Matts in the office) joins us from a mortgage and banking background.
- Time for a new home – the team move to Jubilee Lodge, our current home, significantly larger offices show the intentions of the business. The new home is fit to burst with tech, pool and table tennis tables and plenty of room for collaboration.
- We become award-winning – we win the first Gold Trusted Service award from Feefo for our consistent high-quality reviews. We are finalists in the London Moneyfacts Awards for Best BTL Broker UK – the recognition starts and the hard work is starting to pay dividends.
- Onwards and upwards – Rachel is promoted to buy to let specialist underpinning the businesses’ meritocracy status. Sarah joins us from a related industry with many parallels to our business.
- The awards keep coming – Gold Trusted Service Winners from Feefo two years running. The business is commended in the 2018 Business Moneyfacts Awards for Best Buy to Let Broker UK, presented in London. The Buy to Let Broker wins two awards – Best Broker North – and Best Buy to Let Broker from HLP. What Mortgage Awards Winner – Best Buy to Let Broker of the Year. What a Year!
- 2019 was a helluva special year – we win Feefo’s Trusted Service for the 3rd year running for consistently high levels of service and advice. Highly Commended in the Business Moneyfacts Awards again. We were also a Finalist in the Financial Reporter Awards held in Manchester – you can’t win ’em all (unfortunately).
- Rewarding hardwork – Sarah is promoted to Team Leader.
- The talent continues – Chris joins us having forged a career in financial services. Mortgage adviser Adam brings his passion for customer service and our resident marketing geek Dolly joins to help us lead the charge. We’re bringing in talent from the four corners of the kingdom – and fabulous assets to the business they are.
- Starting with a bang – we started 2020 with no less than 3 team award nominations for Moneyfacts Awards, Mortgage Strategy Awards and the British Bank Awards 2020. Go team!
- Best of British – we welcome experienced broker Tom Headey (yup we now have two Toms) to bolster our all-star team of buy to let & bridging Specialists.
- Steadfast in service – within days of 2021 kicking off, the team were at it again with a shortlist nomination for Buy-to-Let Mortgage Broker of the Year in the Business Moneyfacts Awards 2021. Plus a nomination for Best Mortgage Broker in the British Bank Awards 2021! We just can’t help ourselves when it comes to a bit of healthy competition…!
- Amazing Admin – To support the team as we continue to deliver our 5-star service, we welcomed three new administrators to the team – say hello to the wonderful Abby and Heather. All three ladies come from extensive admin backgrounds and have been incredible assets to the team.
- Welcome, welcome, welcome – at the beginning of 2022, we were thrilled to welcome not one, not two, not even three but four new faces to the team. Say hello to broker Barbara Wohlert, case manager Ashley Murphy, plus administrator Aimee Cannon.
- We won! – we were incredibly humbled and proud to have been awarded Best Broker for Buy-to-Let in the prestigious Mortgage Strategy Awards 2022. We were also awarded a Highly Commended for Best Buy-to-Let Broker of the Year in the Business Moneyfacts Awards 2022 AND we won Best Broker for Buy-to-Let in the Mortgage Introducer Awards 2022. And it doesn’t stop there, our very own buy-to-let and residential mortgage specialist Steve Walker was nominated for best ‘Complex Buy to Let’ broker in the British Specialist Lending Awards.
- Merit where merit is due – we’re super proud to share that administrators Abby and Aimee were promoted to case managers, due to their clear talent, dogged determination and exceptional service – bravo ladies!
- Stepping Up – Through sheer determination and dedication, case manager Chris qualified as a mortgage broker to take the next big leap forward in his financial career. He has seamlessly joined our expanding team of buy to let specialists, helping clients across the UK to grow their portfolios.
- What a start! – 2023 has kicked off with great news – we were shortlisted for best ‘Buy-to-let mortgage broker of the year’ in the well respected Business Moneyfacts Awards 2023 and was awarded highly commended!
- Fourth year running – we’re proud to share that we were awarded the Feefo Platinum Trusted Service award for the fourth year in a row.
- Highly Commended – In the Mortgage Strategy awards 2023, the team’s hard work was recognised with a Highly Commended honour for Best Broker for Buy-to-Let.
- We only went and did it again – We’re thrilled to have won the The Landbay Award for Buy-to-Let Broker of the Year at the Mortgage Introducer Awards for the second year running.
- Hello John – Bringing with him a wealth of financial experience, John joined the team in our newly created sales manager role, that see him working closely with our mighty broker team.
- Introducing Connor – Norwich based mortgage broker Connor joined the team to become our first fully remote adviser. Dedicated and with an exceptional criteria knowledge, Connor is fast becoming a firm favourite with our landlords.
- It’s going to be a big one – 2023 was a year like no other, but with our bar set even higher, 2024 is set to be an important year for both the industry and the team.
Let Us Help You Save Money On Your Mortgage
If you need mortgage expertise and would like to know how much you can borrow on your next buy to let mortgage. All it starts with a quick call with one of our team.